Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Review of "Joe Maddon: Hallelujah! We’re Gonna Party Like It’s 1908," by Rich Wolfe

 Review of

Joe Maddon: Hallelujah! We’re Gonna Party Like It’s 1908, by Rich Wolfe ISBN 9780692782729

Three out of five stars

Contains over the top accolades for Maddon

 As a longtime Cub fan, I deeply appreciate the Cubs winning the World Series in 2016, 108 years after their last one. That appreciation also extends to Joe Maddon, the genius that managed the Cubs to that title. This book is not a biography in the normal use of the term, it is a series of short segments written by people that have known Joe Maddon. Some know him through his work in baseball, others have encountered him in other walks of life.

 I found this book to be one of the most boring baseball books that I have ever read. The accolades read more like extreme marketing hype rather than actual descriptions of the man. For example, on page 138, Art Fischetti writes: “I’m not a fun guy, I’m a sports guy. Fun to me is fundamentals. Joe Maddon would be the Pope for me. I love the Pope. We all love the Pope. Joe Maddon is bigger than the Pope.”

 While accolades and praise are fine, there is a point where reading text like that over and over again causes you to reach the point where you just want to declare that you have read enough. He is also compared to John Wooden and Knute Rockne. Wooden won 10 NCAA basketball championships in 12 years and Rockne has the highest winning percentage of any coach in the history of NCAA football. While managing the Cubs to a World Series victory is a major achievement, longevity as a winner is what makes greatness. I found it difficult to read significant segments at one sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment