Friday, August 28, 2020

Review of "Nick Calm, Agent of C.O.D.P.I.E.C.E., number 1"

 

Review of

Nick Calm, Agent of C.O.D.P.I.E.C.E., number 1

Four out of five stars

 This is an unusual comic, the background for the captions are black and white images right out of mythology or artwork of the Christian religion. As I read it, my mind wandered as I tried to remember if I had ever seen the images in religious works. They look like they could have been plucked from medieval or Renaissance works.  For example, there is a bat-winged devil with horns and beard right out of the images of the Christian god. 

 Once a background is established, it is used for several panels, with different overlays to progress the story. To me, the artwork is far more interesting than the story in textual form, which in many ways is non-sequential and a bit nonsensical. Designed to be provocative, this comic is unusual, yet has a hint of art history as a foundation.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment