Monday, August 9, 2021

Review of "Stadium Stories: Iowa Hawkeyes," by Buck Turnbull

 Review of

Stadium Stories: Iowa Hawkeyes, by Buck Turnbull, ISBN 0762738197

Five out of five stars

Many fond memories revisited

As a lifelong resident of Eastern Iowa, I grew up and have spent my adult life following the Iowa football team. The games were always on the radio and the announcers were familiar. There were many down years of poor performance, yet there have been many spectacular plays, some of which won the game in the last seconds. I was fortunate enough to have seen most of them live, this book is a combination general history as well as a revisitation of those great moments.

 As I read this book I went online so that I could relive the great moments. Chuck Long on a bootleg to defeat Michigan State in the final seconds, Rob Houghtlin’s last second field goal to defeat Michigan, Marv Cook catching a last-second touchdown pass to beat Ohio State and the best of all, Drew Tate to Warren Holloway in a 56-yard touchdown pass in the last play of the game. I vividly remember where I was when these events happened.

 Reliving those great moments online and in print still sends tingles through my body, it simply doesn’t get any better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment